Monday, April 18, 2011

Welcome to the Jungle...

And this is where it gets dicey...
I preface this by saying that all opinions here in which I question tenets of faith are just that-- musings. I question with respect and a desire to be at peace with and reconcile what has been told to me my whole life and what I think. 
The last sacrifice? Or are we still killing today?
So, we live in the U.S., right--- a country based on Protestant Christian ideals? So it should only make sense that as much as we question economic ideals and virtues, we should look at why we perpetuate some religious ideals the way we do. I mean, there's a lot of comparisons that can be made between the separate creation stories and falls from grace in Jungle Book, the Bible, and Milton's Paradise Lost. But I grew up in a town where the whole "subdue it; and have dominion over... every living thing that moveth upon the earth" (224) is taken very seriously. And I've heard my fair share of arguments that it's human right because of Adam and Abel and how we've fallen into a violent, ruinous nature. I think we take for granted the interpretations and translations, as well as actual words that are expressed within the pages of the bible. I mean, isn't Eden expressed as a peaceful, coexisting, abundant world in which everything comes from the same dust of the earth and eats of the same fruits and plants.
But I apologize to anyone who believes otherwise, but I've never been a fan of the idea of a vengeful, vindictive God who is perpetually punishing all of us, and banishing us. More than that, I probably can't jump on the idea that we are stuck in the Old Testament, in which we're doomed to this idea of domination and inherent sin. Sorry. I just have a hard time with that. I, more or less, if I am going to translate Christian literature, would have to look at the New Testament and depictions of Christ as the end of this. In that case, violence is wrong and is to be overcome (of man or animal). So no more killing each other. No more need for sacrificing. None of it.
To kill Man is always, shameful. The Law says so. (264) "The river is to drink, and not to defile. None but the Lame Tiger would so have boasted of his right at this season when --- when we suffer together-- Man and Jungle People alike." (264)
"I am the same cocoanut all naked." (263) "I wanna be
like you. I wanna walk like you. Talk like you, too."
I think of it in the whole baptismal type of way. Then again, the bible is rife with symbolism, and those symbols, too, can have multiple meanings. In that case, we are all in some state of Eden... even if it's Earth... in which we are alike and suffer (or celebrate, if you'd like to explain it that way) the same existence, and share the same sorrows and pains.
If I take some of the rhetoric of the bible and Kipling, we put it like this. Compare these:
Revenge- forgiveness
Shame- pride
Isn't pride the source of sin. I think the Italian thinker quoted Aristotle in  his oration on the fall of Adam and Eve, when he said that. These are all such negative emotions that we should be avoiding, right? The revenge as well as both the shame and pride. Rather, we refer to the things in the Old Testament that represented the ideals that kept Adam and Eve in peace before the fall: doing what they were "commanded" to.
"God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it." (225) "be fruitful and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it" "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in  which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." (224)
So, we would avoid meat and be facilitators of life and growth and regeneration on earth. End of rant. There's probably too much I could say about this.
And please read this, because it's a little bit kooky and interesting and gives another perspective on humans.
http://www.astrodynamics.net/Articles/Cycles/Age%20of%20Aquarius.htm
Is this what it would look like forever? Yay! We could all be nudists and happy. Sounds like a plan to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment